Santa Barbara Channelkeeper is seeking a full-time Development Director to join our team.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper (SBCK) defends the public’s right to clean water and protects aquatic habitats along California’s central coast, from Point Conception to the Ventura River, and offshore to the Channel Islands. We fulfill our mission through science-based advocacy, public education, community engagement, field work, and citizen enforcement of environmental laws.
The Development Director is the organization’s principal fundraising strategist. They are responsible for planning, managing, and implementing SBCK’s fundraising programs. They work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors in support of the organization’s annual and long-term development priorities.
• Lead Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s fundraising programs and initiatives, including annual fund, major/special gift campaigns, planned giving, corporate support, and events, such as the annual Blue Water Ball.
• Build and deepen relationships with supporters, including individual donors, foundation officers, government officials, and other partners.
• Cultivate and solicit major gifts and assist Executive Director and Board members with major donor outreach.
• Working closely with Executive Director and staff, oversee the identification, research, and submission of high-quality grant proposals and reports to foundations and other institutional supporters.
• Oversee all aspects of donor and institutional grant tracking and management.
• Produce annual fund appeals, annual reports, and fundraising materials.
• Develop, maintain, and oversee policies and best practices related to fundraising activities that meet the standards of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
• Work with Executive Director to develop and implement annual and long-term development goals and plans.
• Contribute to annual budget preparation.
• Maintain organization’s development and donor communication calendar.
• Participate in appropriate professional and networking organizations.
• Supervise staff.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
• A minimum of 4 years of fundraising experience with a record of demonstrated success among a diversity of donor sources.
• Experience fostering and deepening relationships with individuals, foundations, businesses, and other institutional supporters.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Strong decision-making and critical thinking skills.
• Keen attention to accuracy and confidentiality.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Ability to work independently and be accountable to others as part of a team.
• Experience with donor management software, MS Office, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• Enthusiastic about Santa Barbara Channelkeeper’s mission and impact.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for meetings and events.
• Strong ties to Santa Barbara region’s philanthropic community, familiarity with
local water and climate issues, and comfortability on a boat are plusses.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation range for the Development Director is $80,000 to $95,000 annually,
commensurate with experience. We offer health, dental, and vision benefits, as well as
a retirement matching contribution to a SIMPLE-IRA. Generous vacation, holiday, and
sick leave are provided. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Santa Barbara,
California with an opportunity to work a hybrid schedule.
Send a cover letter, resume, and a fundraising-related writing sample as a single PDF
to: [email protected] and include “Development Director position” in the email subject
line. Please, no phone calls or drop-in meetings.
Santa Barbara Channelkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and other categories
protected by law in employment decisions.