Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented accounting professional to help strengthen Waterkeeper Alliance and the Waterkeeper movement.
Location: New York, NY
Position Type: Hybrid (currently 2 days in the office, up to 3 days working from home)
Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 300 Waterkeeper groups around the world and focusing citizen action on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeeper groups patrol over 2.75 million square miles of rivers, streams, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information, please visit our website at waterkeeper.org.
Position Summary: The position works under the direction of the Chief Finance & Operations Officer (CFOO). The Finance department manages all of the financial, accounting, and bookkeeping functions associated with a $6+ million budget. The position is responsible for executing all day-to-day financial transactions, providing financial information for grant writing and grant reporting, ensuring that all financial processes are as efficient as possible and in keeping with GAAP and all Waterkeeper Alliance finance and administration policies, assisting with audit and tax preparation, and preparing financial reports.
- Executes day-to-day financial transactions, including cash receipts, A/P, A/R, expense reimbursement, deposits and bank and payroll reconciliations;
- Tracks restricted funding and provides financial information for grant writing and grant reporting;
- Ensures that the financial processes follow GAAP and all Waterkeeper Alliance finance and administration policies;
- Assists with audit and tax return preparation;
- Prepares annual 1099 tax forms;
- Prepares monthly department-related financial reports;
- Prepares monthly journal entries for general ledger;
- Processes employee reimbursements and credit card reconciliation;
- Adheres to monthly financial process and close schedule;
- Maintains and prepares any records or schedules for payroll services, benefits administration, taxes and audits;
- Works with CFOO to maintain the organization’s fiscal health and high-quality standing; and
- Engages in other duties as assigned.
- An understanding of GAAP for non-profit organizations;
- Vocational/Technical Training or Associates Degree- required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred BSBA/Accounting; 1 to 2 years of professional experience;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Knowledge of Sage Intacct software;
- Knowledge of Bill.com; and
- Keen understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) within an organization, across initiatives, and through navigating complex interpersonal relationships;
Job type: Full time
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and just future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days, sick time, paid parental leave (after required period of employment), work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Starting Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000 annually. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. Internal equity will be reviewed and considered to determine a final offer.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] with subject line “Accountant.”
No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.